October 28, 2015 · 0 Comments
By Mark Pavilons
Two King Road properties that have defined the streetscape for more than 100 years, will carry a heritage designation.
King councillors, staff and residents were all thrilled to recommend that 2169 and 2175 King Road be designated under the Ontario Heritage Act. The two adjacent properties were saved from the proverbial wrecking ball.
The owners had applied for demolition permits Sept. 29 and they were issued Oct. 13. King’s Heritage Advisory Committee reviewed the properties again at their Oct. 8 meeting and recommended they be designated. The properties were found to have historic value and discussions with the owners led to this agreement.
In a letter sent from Jeff and Mike Laceby of the New Scotland Group Inc., they are pleased to proceed with the historical designation process.
“We look forward to working with the Township of King to continue to preserve the historical components of our properties as well as to enhance the properties and potentially redevelop them in the future,” they wrote.
“The properties … have defined the streetscape of King Road since their original construction. They are both representative of the turn of the 19th century residential construction that reflects the early development of the community,” according to the report submitted by planning department staff. “Designation of these properties … would ensure that they will remain important contributions to the King City core area, and reminder of the Township’s roots.”
Located between Fisher and Patton Streets, 2169 King Road was originally built in 1896 and the building is a strong example of a Victorian-style Ontario farmhouse. The building is one of the few remaining in the area from this period.
The building was occupied by the Norman family, with roots dating back to the 1800s. The building was used as a residence and home for the Bethel Baptist Church. It’s now used as a real estate office.
The building has served to define, support and maintain the character of the area.
It features a gable roof, gothic windows, dichromatic brick work and a front verandah.
The building at 2175 King Road is a unique example of an Ontario cottage, with a central door and prominent steep gable. It displays a mixture of architectural styles, along with a wrap-around verandah with decorative treillage.
This was also built around 1896 and was originally occupied by Henry Teasdale, a merchant and member of the Sons of Temperance. The family arrived in Canada in 1820 and had ties to a number of villages in King Township, including Laskay where George served as postmaster from 1898-1921.
The building is historically, physically and functionally linked to its surroundings.
The decision drew praise from the Concerned Citizens of King Township.
Bruce Craig commended councillors, staff and volunteers for recognizing the importance placed on the history and heritage features found in King.
“To understand who and what King is today and know where we are going, we have to have a clear understanding of our past,” he said.
“The two heritage homes on King Road … are excellent examples of King’s past and continue to contribute to a sense of place that is rooted in history. Both structures are well designed and feature numerous architectural details well worth preserving as part of King’s heritage.”
He praised the HAC and the owners of the properties for their efforts.
Councillor Debbie Schaefer said these properties are very much part of King’s history and she’s pleased they can be productive parts of the future of King City.
The owners are “setting a standard,” she observed.