Archive

Councillor thanks fire crews

June 25, 2013   ·   0 Comments

We had a fire on Saturday at the Mortelliti residence and a 911 visit from the King City Fire Department.
While in the kitchen we heard a “pop!” and panic ensued with flames shooting up from behind the gas stove, and no one was even using it!
We evacuated the kids, dog and cats, and Catherine, my wife called 911 while I bolted into the basement (which was probably the wrong thing to do)  looking for the gas shut off valve for the stove. I found the valve and shut it off, plus the breaker for the stove on the electrical panel had tripped. Initially I thought it was a gas fire, but it was a fluky electrical fire.
About a week ago a small metal decorative wall sign fell in behind the stove.  Thinking it more of a nuisance than anything I figured I’d pull the stove out and retrieve it when I had time. The sign must have slid into a bad position behind the stove, coming into contact with the power plug and started arcing. My son says he saw sparks shooting up from behind the stove and then poof, it ignited.
Within minutes the King City cavalry was at my house scouting for heat sources with some infrared gizmo and securing the place as the flames had extinguished just seconds before the fire department arrived.
Luckily, no smoke damage and limited fire damage. I’ll have to replace my electrical outlet and gas line and possibly the gas stove – and definitely a pair of skivvies!
I’ve never been so flipped out in my life.  First time I have ever had to call the fire department to any house I’ve ever lived in.
You know we can say as councillors how great our fire services are; we say the words at council and in public. You know they’re needed and appreciated.  It’s a no-brainer.
But having a fire emergency in your own home, and then seeing how fast these guys show up and how quickly and professionally they secure your home, it makes you truly appreciate what an amazing fire department we have.
I don’t need to imagine how great they are now. I have first-hand experience.
Thank goodness for our King Township Fire and Emergency Services!

Cleve Mortelliti
Ward 1 Councillor

         

Facebooktwittergoogle_plusmail


Readers Comments (0)


You must be logged in to post a comment.

Page Reader Press Enter to Read Page Content Out Loud Press Enter to Pause or Restart Reading Page Content Out Loud Press Enter to Stop Reading Page Content Out Loud Screen Reader Support
Open